30 November 2006

Tien asked if I had any poems recently. I'm in between two large projects, w/rest (August 2006) and the upcoming super-secret manuscript, as well as other side-projects, mostly notably Fantomina, a fantasia in verse, which has grown on me since beginning writing on it. I've also been remiss about posting my notes from the Creeley conference in Buffalo this October, but I'll try to salvage something from my notebook on that shortly. For now, "Going," which grew out of that visit:


2 comments:

Tien Tran said...

Beautiful elegy, very moving. I should read Creeley, whose practice the poem accesses, I assume. The snow and the whiteness of the page is a natural metaphor (?).

JPB said...

Yes, there is a poem by Creeley called "Going":

There is nothing
to turn from,
or to, no

way other
than forward, such
place as I mark

time. Let me
leave here a
mark, a

way through
her mind.

This poem is from Words, which is c. 1967 and the book immediately preceding Pieces. You might consider beginning Creeley with Pieces, about which everyone at the conference seemed excited, but it's probably just as well to begin with the earlier lyrics from The Charm and For Love. Let me know what you think when and if you do read them.