Currently reading:: On Longing, Invisible Listeners, and Collected Essays (Emerson)
It’s been a busy four months, give or take, but apologies all round for not writing sooner. Here’s what’s doing:
In March, I was fortunate enough to have a short essay on my poetry course for first-year students and the work of Cecilia Vicuña, entitled “Pedagogy and ‘Technologies of Poetic Imagination’,” published with Kelsey Street Press’s blog. I count Vicuña as among my favorite poets, and Kelsey Street, among my favorite presses. For a happy marriage of the two, try reading Instan (2002).
In the months following, I completed (finally!) and handed in to my committee the first chapter of my dissertation. I’ve found a comfortable groove for my writing now, and am currently at work on the introduction and a second chapter.
With the onslaught of research and critical writing, I began to feel that poetry, perhaps necessarily, was falling by the wayside. I don’t think I had managed to put pen to paper to any great effect in nearly a year, and I was a little frightened. But convinced that writing is a choice, I’ve chosen to ignore my non-production and redirect my energies elsewhere.
And just when I thought my own writing was on pause, I received word that The Adjacent Possible was chosen as a semi-finalist for Ahsahta Press’s Sawtooth Poetry Prize. That's pretty cool, since Ahsahta also rates among my favorite presses, and its chef-de-cuisine, Janet Holmes, is a remarkable poet—only see her recent book F2F, and you’ll know what I mean.
Apparently, the news was encouraging. This afternoon, I started writing again. Somehow, I now find myself with two new manuscripts underway. What I’m thinking these days, I couldn’t tell you. Must be the fine May weather—when it rains, it pours.
It’s been a busy four months, give or take, but apologies all round for not writing sooner. Here’s what’s doing:
In March, I was fortunate enough to have a short essay on my poetry course for first-year students and the work of Cecilia Vicuña, entitled “Pedagogy and ‘Technologies of Poetic Imagination’,” published with Kelsey Street Press’s blog. I count Vicuña as among my favorite poets, and Kelsey Street, among my favorite presses. For a happy marriage of the two, try reading Instan (2002).
In the months following, I completed (finally!) and handed in to my committee the first chapter of my dissertation. I’ve found a comfortable groove for my writing now, and am currently at work on the introduction and a second chapter.
With the onslaught of research and critical writing, I began to feel that poetry, perhaps necessarily, was falling by the wayside. I don’t think I had managed to put pen to paper to any great effect in nearly a year, and I was a little frightened. But convinced that writing is a choice, I’ve chosen to ignore my non-production and redirect my energies elsewhere.
And just when I thought my own writing was on pause, I received word that The Adjacent Possible was chosen as a semi-finalist for Ahsahta Press’s Sawtooth Poetry Prize. That's pretty cool, since Ahsahta also rates among my favorite presses, and its chef-de-cuisine, Janet Holmes, is a remarkable poet—only see her recent book F2F, and you’ll know what I mean.
Apparently, the news was encouraging. This afternoon, I started writing again. Somehow, I now find myself with two new manuscripts underway. What I’m thinking these days, I couldn’t tell you. Must be the fine May weather—when it rains, it pours.

No comments:
Post a Comment